Saturday, April 02, 2005

Showered...

Well, today was my Baby Shower. It was wonderful and I enjoyed every single second of it. It was so uplifting for me to be surrounded by people that love me and are SO excited about the little angel that we are waiting to bring home. It wasn’t a large crowd, and that was just fine with me. There were about 15 to 20 people there, and that was plenty of folks in my opinion. I tend to clam up in large crowds and when you are the "guest of honor" that is not a good thing.

I arrived right before 11 this morning and found my sister’s house all decked out in gorgeous flowers with bug accents everywhere. Our nursery theme is bugs, so this was right in line with that theme. The hostesses showed me all around the house and highlighted the wonderful little touches that they had thought of. One of my favorites was the silver baby cup filled with white roses, my favorite flower. Then they showed me the cake. Oh my gosh, the cake! A coworker, who dabbles in wedding cakes on the side, made it for the party and it was SO cute! She had taken a sample piece of the border that we are planning on using in the nursery and made the cake look just like the border, including 3D marzipan bugs!! I was stunned to say the least. She made a pound cake, one of my favorites, and it tasted as good as it looked.

We played a couple of games (name that nursery rhyme and baby bingo) and they were actually very entertaining. At that point my sister and I decided it would be a good time to show everyone the video of our little man to be. My sister made a little announcement explaining that he was only two months old in the video, and that by the time we get him home, he will be between 14 and 15 months. Everyone gathered around the television to get a peek at my son. It was wonderful. Hearing the "experienced Mom’s" talk about how fantastic it was that he was holding up his head so well at that age and that his development looked fabulous was so thrilling for me. I just sat there and beamed. I was so proud of him; I could hardly stand it! They all thought he was so cute (of course) and loved his little sneeze. It was the best three minutes of the whole party.

Then I opened the gifts that people had brought. People are so overwhelmingly kind and generous. Once I was finished opening all of "the stuff" I said a few words to the group as a whole. I, of course, thanked them for coming and for the thoughtful gifts and cards that they had brought. However, the main thing that I wanted to thank them all for was their prayers. Without them we would be lost. This whole process has been tough, but without faith, it would be impossible. The Lord has brought us to this point, and He will see us through the rest of it as well.

As people were leaving many whispered in my ear that they would continue to pray for our son and us. I assured them that that was the greatest gift of all and I meant it with all of my heart.

Today was a very good day.

No comments: